Thursday, June 4, 2009

Forwardness

I don't understand. Humans always seem to hem and haw and edge around touchy subjects. Why don't we just flat out say what we want to say? Especially in high school, you hear stories about guys and girls that like each other but have done nothing about/haven't made a move yet. Why doesn't one of them just go up and say "Hey, I like you"? It would make things so much simpler.

It is nice; the chase. But it's nicer not to have to spend so much time trying to get one person, when you can just flat out hear their feelings. Unfortunately, one person is hardpressed to start this movement because humans are so accustomed to not hearing the entire, straightforward truth. They hear it through the grapevine, or through subtle hints. If one person started being extremely forward, he or she would most likely be shunned.

I propse a movement of forwardness. I propose the next time you want to tell someone something, you do it. Do those random urges, no matter how weird. Don't live your life regretting things you should have done.

But which is worse? Regret for something you didn't do, or regret for something that you did do and it went wrong? For me, it's the latter, which is why, perhaps, I don't take as many chances as I should.

I was recently at my sister's graduation, and the principal gave a speech. She's friendly and young, and she quoted a Nickelback song:

"If today was your last day and tomorrow was too late
Could you say goodbye to yesterday?
Would you live each moment like your last?
Leave old pictures in the past?
Donate every dime you had?

And would you call those friends you never see?
Reminisce old memories?
Would you forgive your enemies?
And would you find that one you're dreaming of
Swear up and down to God above
That you'd finally fall in love if today was your last day?"

After she said those lyrics, I was ready to do anything. I was ready to go out in the world and tell everyone what I've been holding back. Sadly, that feeling left during the boring speeches and endless calling-of-names. Every so often, I try to recapture that feeling and live life as if I have nothing to lose. It's a good philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment